A Partnership Built For The Long Haul
Leave the dance with the same girl you came with is a favorite sentiment of Sisbro's General Manager Glenn Bemis. That's just one reason we relate to the Mid-West Truckers Association, Inc.'s motto—A partnership built for the long haul.
60 Years of the Long Haul
What began in 1961 with four small trucking companies has grown to over 4,000 members in 15 states. 60 years ago, the humble goal was to pool together to buy group insurance and tires at competitive rates. As the trucking industry grew, the founding members of MTA realized the difficulty of keeping up with developing regulations.
Luckily, dedicated MTA staff now represent the trucking industry throughout the Midwest by serving on state, regional, and national advisory boards. This presence ensures the voices of their members are heard—including Sisbro!
Expanded member services are also provided with a current focus on:
- Federally-mandated drug and alcohol testing
- Motor Carrier Compliance
- Self-funded workers compensation programs
- Licensing and title service
- Legislative and regulatory representation
- Education and membership programs
- Annual convention and truck show
2021 Western Advisory Board Meeting
In late May, the Western Advisory Board Meeting was held right here at Tower of Pizza in our hometown of Quincy, IL. About two dozen members and guests gathered to represent companies including:
- Sisbro - Quincy, IL
- Neil Oil Co. - Mendon, IL
- Quincy Mack - Quincy, IL
- Sharkey Transportation - Quincy, IL
- Fork Lift of Liberty - Liberty, IL
- Likes Trucking - Camp Point, IL
- Brian Dickhart Trucking - Camp Point, IL
- Midwest Express - Colchester, IL
- Joseph Reich Trucking - Versailles, IL
The agenda covered:
- Call to Order/Welcome
- Don Schaefer, Executive Vice President Midwest Truckers Association answering questions and speaking on industry issues.
Industry Issues discussed:
- SB2563 California Emission Bill
- Trailer Plates language
- Last week of legislative session
- Federal Infrastructure Bill
- Minimum Truck Insurance Language
Association Issues highlighted:
- Mid-West Truck And Trailer Show February 4 & 5th, 2022 The BIGGEST Little Truck Show In The Country!
- 2021 Webinar Educational Series return in the fall; sessions are free to all MTA members and available as a recording afterwards.
- Profit and Cost Seminar 2022 Planning
Remaining 2021 Meeting Dates were noted as well.
The Long Haul Ahead
If we've learned anything, it's that the trucking industry is constantly changing. The need for legislative and regulatory representation will only increase in the months and years to come. We're grateful for Mid-West Truckers Association to act as the eyes, ears, and voice for its members so we can focus on the loads and roads ahead. We're proud to partner with MTA for the long haul. No one is ready to leave the dance just yet, but we sure do remember who we came with.
Our family trucking heritage goes back to the late 1950s with one truck and a trailer. Sisbro was formed in the 1980s and reflects our family values: Sisbro, a combination of sister and brother. The business grew and in 1990, Sisbro became part of an organization that allows us to grow our customer base and take advantage of new technology. We kept the name Sisbro and maintain our identity as a family business.
Based in Quincy, Illinois, our primary focus is serving customers in a 17 state Midwest region, with expanded coverage available upon request from our customers. We offer a wide variety of transportation, trucking, warehouse, and dock services to serve our customers in a variety of ways. This includes regular contract trucking services and dedicated driver and equipment operations in all areas of industry. Perishables, building materials, industrial, general commodities, paper, and animal feed are just some of the products we transport.
Our fleet has grown with outstanding driver personnel behind the wheel. These dedicated drivers are the key to our continued success and will be vital to our growth. Future plans include the expansion of our fleet size with experienced personnel. This will enable us to continue to provide the high standard of service our customers have come to expect from Sisbro.